Friday, February 3, 2012

Introductions to Zagreb


 Today is the day I moved to Zagreb! This is where I will be staying for the next few months.

So woke up at 7am again at Zvanco's, once again I was met with a wonderful spread for breakfast! I am going to miss this in the coming days, I really enjoyed living with the Gerbers. But we shared a breakfast together and then I set to making sure all my luggage was ready to go to ZAGREB! We waited till 12pm because that was when it was best for us to arrive. I spent most the day just lulling about the house double checking everything. I was super nervous and anxious about where i will be staying and will i know anyone and how to get around town. It was time to pack up and go but of course Nada wouldn't let us leave without some of her wonderful cooking first. We had a risotto and pickles. It was, as you would expect, simply wonderful! The we were off to my new home!




 We arrived at Zagreb but had to wait for Kristina, she was going to show us where the place was. So in the meantime me and Zvanco tucked ourselves away into one of the many cafes that litter the street and had ourselves a coffee. These people here really like their coffee. They make a really good cup and drink it super slow over conversation. I have yet to see a place that had coffee you could take with you. This is going to make going to school in the morning that much harder! After our coffee Kristina walked in and we were off the dorm! Little did we know we parked right in front of it.








So this wonderful blue building is home!We grabbed the keys from the security guard who was making jokes about making sure I don't party to much. We picked up our luggage and starting up the steps to my room. About 3 flights up we were all breathing heavy. I live in the top floor and the steps are incredible shallow. This means like a hundred steps to go up one stupid flight! Needless to say moving the luggage in the room was a full work out. But I know that I want to stay on the top floor because I will have the best legs in the country in about one month! So all my luggage was on my bed and I saw my friends off and there I was... All alone for the first time in Croatia. I WAS PUMPED! Nothing could bring down my mood! I was tired from moving all the luggage but I was settled in about an hour and I was ready to go exploring!

I just did a walk around the perimeter of the building complex. There were a lot of coffee bars, buildings, and even a corner supermarket that is only a few yards from my front door! I walked around to get my bearings but at six I was to meet up with Kristina and Serta again to go shopping for things I needed. So after getting a good feel of the grounds I walked back to my dorm, it was only then did I realize that there was a post office located on the first floor of my building! How lucky! So I stopped in to pick up some postcards and stamps. They were quite friendly and helped me get everything I needed! So I have been writing letters to many of my friends back home.... I just haven't sent any... because I have to figure out what the return address is here.... Yea I know I should know! I will work on this during the week.
Some Graffiti on the wall opposite my building.

Well six o'clock showed up and Kristina and Serta pulled up to help me get everything I need to finish getting settled in. We went to the local shopping center. It was huge! They had an Imax theater in this place, that is how big! I did not get to walk around much, I did not want to forget why we came here! So we got food, to be honest I don't have a kitchen to I was confused what to buy! I did buy a little grill and bought food I could cook on that. I then bought some frozen dishes, which all they had in the super small freezer section was fish sticks. I will say it was funny because I bought peanut butter and Kristina and Serta NEVER HAD ONE! I almost thought they were joking when they were asking how to make one, it was a five minute process! Serta made me laugh because he looks and and asked how big were our jars of peanut butter and I told him they are much larger than this peanut butter sample jar in my hand. He said why on earth would you want that much peanut butter and I point to giant jars of nuetella and we just laughed!


 After getting what I needed we headed to Sertas ice rink where he works. He is a coach there and had to teach, so me and Kristina talked for a good hour. After the class we headed back to my place and I was alone again. I then made the worst fish sticks ever.... I now understand why the don't like frozen foods. Yuck! Nothing like Nada's food. Oh well I am excited for this is start of my adventure!











No comments:

Post a Comment